Monday, November 22, 2004

War is hell

If you want to cut through all the spin and counter-spin about the Marine shooting of an unarmed Iraqui in Fallujah, go straight to the source and check out this blog entry from the reporter who shot the video. He comes across both as sympathetic to the difficult situation faced by the Marines, yet shocked at what occurred.
Through my viewfinder I can see him raise the muzzle of his rifle in the direction of the wounded Iraqi. There are no sudden movements, no reaching or lunging.

However, the Marine could legitimately believe the man poses some kind of danger. Maybe he's going to cover him while another Marine searches for weapons.

Instead, he pulls the trigger. There is a small splatter against the back wall and the man's leg slumps down.....

For a moment, I'm paralyzed still taping with the old man in the foreground. I get up after a beat and tell the Marines again, what I had told the lieutenant -- that this man -- all of these wounded men -- were the same ones from yesterday. That they had been disarmed treated and left here.

At that point the Marine who fired the shot became aware that I was in the room. He came up to me and said, "I didn't know sir-I didn't know." The anger that seemed present just moments before turned to fear and dread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home