Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Off his case?

I was quite surprised when I read the quote from Dick Cheney regarding Rumsfeld that "people ought to get off his case." This phrasing seems more befitting a sullen teenager ("Mom, get off my case!") than the vice president of the USA. Now I see that I wasn't the only one bothered by it. From this E. J. Dionne column:
Let's see. A couple of congressional committees get roughly a half-day each to ask Rumsfeld about one the most appalling moral disasters in our military's history, at the Abu Ghraib prison, and now they should shut up. Cheney knows Rumsfeld is the best. That should be enough.

This was too much for Sen. Lindsey Graham, a conservative Republican from South Carolina. Last week's Senate hearing, Graham said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," was not about "being on Secretary Rumsfeld's back. . . . The Congress has an independent duty to find out what happened in that prison. It affects us all."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home