Sunday, April 04, 2004

Not the time of my life

On Friday night I went to the theatre for the first time in a long while. I saw the play "The Time of Your Life" by William Saroyan. (I don't know much about Saroyan...before the play I was thinking, wasn't he the guy who wrote "Sophie's Choice?" Wait, no that's William Styron. Very confusing.) This production originated at the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago, and has apparently received a lot of critical acclaim.

Anyway, I didn't much like it. It's a very idealistic play about the wisdom of the common man, and all men are brothers, and that kind of thing. The characters are mostly a bunch of quirky and colorful working-class types, who dispense their down-to-earth insights with groan-inducing lines like "It takes a lot of rehearsing for a man to get to be himself." It seemed like it was an attempt to be unpretentious that instead comes out even more pretentious. Of course, this all might have seemed very fresh back in 1939 when the play was written.

But that's just grouchy old me...my companions all seemed to like it pretty well. And it was nice to get out of the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home