Monday, April 05, 2004

Islam at the gates

In this piece piece in the New York Times Magazine, Niall Ferguson predicts that immigration by muslims to Europe will have large and unpredictable effects on the culture of the nations of europe.

I have long wondered about this, too. As a fan of Western Civilization, I'll admit to being un-PC enough to feel some apprehension and regret about this prospect.

Sometimes I think that western culture's overwhelming advantage in producing economic and technological growth will carry the day. But other times I think that demographics are inevitably leading to a major decline in western values. A major question, I suppose, is how much the natives and immigrants are able to assimilate together into sharing a common culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home